Stage 2 Mathematical Studies
Course Length: 20-credit
Learning Area: Mathematics
Where does it lead?
This subject focuses on mathematics which helps students to explore, describe and explain aspects of the world around us, with a particular emphasis on the mathematics associated with change. Mathematical Studies provides an important foundation for tertiary studies in a wide range of courses including Architecture, Engineering, Economics, the Professions, the Sciences, Commerce and the Medical Sciences. A significant number of tertiary courses list Mathematical Studies as either pre-requisite or assumed knowledge.
It will be assumed that students will have successfully completed 20-credits of Stage 1 Mathematical Studies. The course builds on the foundation set in Stage 1 Mathematical Studies.
What is in the course?
Topic 1: Working with Statistics
- Probability distributions
- Inferential Statistics
Topic 2: Working with Functions and Graphs, using Calculus
- Introductory (History of) Calculus
- Differential and Integral Calculus - with the following functions
- Applications and Modelling
Topic 3: Working with Linear Equations and Matrices
- Arithmetic and Algebra of Matrices
- Solving Systems of Linear Equations
- Skills and Applications Tests
- Folio (Investigations)
- Stage 2 Mathematical Studies and Mathematical Applications are precluded combination in the calculation of ATAR.